Learn It, Live It, Love it
2003 Awards and Rankings: Specialty Awards
We recommend you read these specialty awards before moving on to the rankings, as some of these awards are revealed in the write-ups for the winners of our Top 25 rankings.
Before we commence with our specialty awards, we want to bring to your attention one important note. In the coming year, we will begin inductions into the RamNation Hall of Fame. We are allowing a maximum of three slots in the Hall for 2004 (they all may be filled or possibly only two, one, or even none). Entry into the Hall will be the highest honor any Ram fan can receive, and there will be stringent requirements just to be nominated. There also may be a period of a certain number of residency years that a poster must have in RamNation before he/she can be elected. All the details have yet to be determined. But, we wanted to give you a heads up so that you can be on top of your game this year.
Now, onto the awards...
BEST NEW HANDLE
Rather than re-vote on all the handles every year, we'll just name our favorite new handles that have popped up over the last year.
1. Mathmodwarrior-Far and away the best handle of the year. You needed to be a warrior to pass those stupid things.
STUDENT BODY RIGHT (BEST STUDENT POSTER AWARD)
Zstory-Zstory burst onto the scene this spring, and instantly became known as one of the board's "insiders". Claiming to have spent countless days on the practice fields over the past few years, Zstory has provided a unique perspective to the board. Quality student posters are rare on college message boards, but we are lucky to have a good handful of them. Zstory is the best of them all. He had some competition, as AK RAM has proven to be another very valuable poster on the board, and Zozza has been around for a couple years. We appreciate all the students out there who post…as you bring a unique perspective to the board, and it's great to have your enthusiasm here!
GLASS HALF-EMPTY AWARD (MOST NEGATIVE)
Drak-One day after CSU received the greatest gift in its history, Drak came to the message board with a vengeance, complaining about the state of CSU athletics, and how far CSU really has to go. That drew the ire of RamNation posters, who felt it was the wrong time to be pointing out all of the negatives at CSU.
Sanfranramfan-Received the wrath of RamNation posters when he ripped the men's basketball team and coaches following the NCAA loss vs. Duke. He later backed down from his comments, and because of his eased stance fell to a close runner-up in the award this year.
80sramfan-80s a lot of anger in him. He once ripped incoming university president Larry Penley for looking "too old" and not having enough "energy".
GLASS HALF-FULL AWARD (MOST POSITIVE)
SFBayCAM-Despite living in San Fran, he's a true Ram ambassador, always encouraging Ram fans to get their butts out of the house and into Moby Arena, or Hughes Stadium. He always puts a positive spin on things, and is one of the true breaths of fresh air we have on the board.
"HE HATE BUFF" AWARD
This award goes to the biggest Buff hater in RamNation. The list is long, so we narrowed it to the five most obvious Buff haters.
1. 80sramfan-Could be a tie with RAM SMITH. These two are utterly obsessed with ripping CU, its coaches, players, and fans on a daily basis.
2. RAM SMITH-clashes with the likes of "le alpe d huez", whom he likes to call "Poopy", and Husker Hater, who he refers to as "Husker Humper". RAM SMITH clearly hates CU, but is not as vengeful as 80s.
3. BVP For Heisman 03-Very similar to RAM SMITH, but takes a more light-hearted approach to smack talk with CU fans. He's known for referring to CU and its fans as the "Little Island". Half of us don't understand what that means, but it seems funny nonetheless.
4. Newport Coast Ram (formerly WashParkRam)- Has been a Buff hater from the beginning of time. He is usually quick to point out recent Buff arrests, and other unbecoming Buff-related items that hit the media.
5. RamRod--You can always tell when RamRod is having a bad day. That's when he appears on the message board and looks to take out some frustration on the poor Buff fans. Love to call them "Puffs", and never hesitates to explain why he feels CU has an inferior program to CSU.
A side note...last year's winner, DRZRAM, must have made some sort of New Year's resolution, as he has toned down his hatred for CU quite a bit this year. While we still held him in high regard in this category earlier in the year, he completely fell out of the running due to a post back in January that actually decried a column by Rocky Mountain News columnist Dave Krieger that ripped CU's football program. Who stole the real DRZRAM?
"HE HATE 'POKE" AWARD
While there certainly is still disdain for Wyoming and its fans among the CSU faithful, CU appears to have drawn the most ire from CSU fans as its main rival the past few years. However, several CSU posters still despise Wyoming and show it clearly in their posts. The one who seems to dislike Wyoming most of all is none other than NYCram. NYCram's posts typically don't have more than 10 words in them, but no matter how long or short they are, they are typically regarding the University of Wyoming or its fans.
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
BVP For Heisman 03-There were several candidates in the running for this award, but we felt BVP4H03 was the best choice due to his consistency in number and quality of posts. He has shown the versatility to be both humorous, as well as serious in topics on all points of the spectrum. He came to the site last fall, and instantly became one of the driving forces of message board content. As noted in the Rankings segment, he was rewarded highly for his performance this year. He is obviously extremely knowledgeable of CSU athletics in general, and judging by the content of some of his posts, is quite possibly the smartest poster we've ever had here. It was a stellar debut season for BVP For Heisman 03.
BEST NON-RAM POSTER
1. #11fan--Despite being a fan of the enemy (University of Colorado), #11fan has proven to be a valuable poster on the site. Granted, it's hard to call #11fan a non-Ram poster, considering he grew up with CSU quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt and is close friends with Bradlee to this day. But still, #11fan is a CU alumnus and fan, and come August 30, will be cheering for the Black and Gold. That qualifies him as a non-Ram. Regardless, is extremely knowledgeable about the game of football, and as an "outsider" can typically provide objective viewpoints of the CSU football program (well...on all topics except for the quarterbacking position). It is the first time Buffsin2003 has not taken the top spot for this award.
2.Buffsin2003--Still a solid runner-up, who has good knowledge on the history of CSU, and can converse with Ram fans without getting involved in the daily flame wars. He is one of the most objective CU fans you'll find.
3. CO_Poke--One of several Wyoming fans who regularly visit RamNation, CO_Poke can talk CSU, Wyoming, and Mountain West Conference issues without partaking in too much smack talk. And even when he does, it's done in a fairly good-natured way.
MOST HATED POSTER
1. Husker Hater--HH takes the top spot due to his daily spiteful, anti-CSU posts. There are other non-Ram posters who are equally as angering to CSU fans, but nobody who posts near as much as HH
THANK YOU AWARD
This new award is simply to recognize people who have impacted the website in a positive manner--and in more than just message board posts.
Horn Star--For serving as the site troubleshooter, and helping cover Good SHEP when he's unavailable to run the site.
EWE AWARD (BEST FEMALE POSTER)
RamFanz-RamFanz is our winner this year, stealing the award from #27smrs, who has held the honor in both years of its existence. RamFanz is typically as "in the know" as some of our regular "insiders". She will occasionally post nuggets of information and scoops on things before they hit the mainstream. She is also knowledgeable in numerous topics. RamFanz, who has been on the board for a couple of years, finally brought her husband Ramalicious into the mix during the past year. He has proven to be a solid poster in his own right, which goes to show that RamFanz has taught her husband well. Behind every great Ram is an even greater Ewe.
FUM MCGRAW AWARD (BEST ATHLETE POSTER)
This award goes to the best poster who is an actual athlete or former athlete. Believe it or not, there are athletes--past and present--who are registered on the board, a couple of which actively participate on the board. This year, we had a new athlete sign on--former offensive lineman David Shohet (under the name 6exram0). He has been a welcome addition and not only has given some great insights on certain topics, but also has shown a great sense of humor. He doesn't post often, but when he does, they are must-reads.
LADY BING AWARD (MOST SPORTSMANLIKE POSTER)
Just like in the National Hockey League, this award goes to the most sportsmanlike poster. We have several posters who exhibit class and sportsmanship throughout their posts. The one who stood out the most this year (and every year) was CSU Rambunctious. Winner of our Glass-Half-Full award in 2002, Bunctious exudes sportsmanship, class, kindness, and compassion in every post. In four years of witnessing Bunctious' posts (dating back to the early CSU Ramblings board days), we cannot remember one negative post. So, even though Bunctious may be a sentimental sap, he's by far the most deserving candidate of the 2003 Lady Bing Award.
This, like many other awards, was a tough call, as we have many comedians who frequent the RamNation message board. So, when in doubt go with old reliable. Despite his "down" year and brief respite from the site, Dall Ram earns the title of Funniest Poster. If you analyzed 100 posts by Dall, you'd maybe find one or two serious posts in the mix. The rest are knee-slappers, and good ones at that. Dall, who has finished No. 2 and No. 3 in the rankings the past two years, continues to show why he's one of the most popular posters on the board--pure comedy.
POST OF THE YEAR
It was a tight race this year, as a couple of RamNationers posted some howitzers this year. But, in the end, experience and creative savvy won out. How does one choose a best out of the hundreds of thousands of posts that are written over the course of a year? Well, our winner finds a way to make it easy. For the second straight year JoninLA (now JoninAZ) gets the nod for the prestigious post of the year award. This year's winning post exemplifies how diverse Jon's writing abilities are. It is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from last year's somber, heart-felt tribute to September 11. (CLICK HERE for last year's specialty awards page, and scroll down to read the text of the winning post) Jon's winner this year is a hilarious poem written to mimic the Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody", and was inspired by the Pat Stryker/Bohemian Foundation $15.1 million donation to the football program. Jon has won this award in both years of its existence. Click the following link to read the post, as well as the other Top 5 finishers in the Post of the Year category.
RamNation.com is an independent publication and is not affiliated with, or endorsed by,
Copyright © RamNation.com - All Rights Reserved